Contrary to popular belief, cockroaches aren’t simply attracted to messy households. In fact, cockroaches move indoors during fall and winter to find warmth and escape the cold. Of course, that pizza left sitting out on the kitchen counter is just asking for a cockroach infestation.
During the cold weather months, it’s more important than ever to create a plan for cockroach prevention in apartments, condos, and other homes.
1) Tidy up around the house. Dispose of piled newspapers, empty boxes, unused paper bags and other piles of clutter. This helps eliminate places that may harbor roaches.
2) Eliminate sources of water. Roaches need water much more than food. It’s critical to fix leaky pipes and clean up any standing water.
3) Don’t feed roaches. Make sure to eliminate roach food sources around the house. Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink, sweep routinely after cooking, and never abandon food on countertops. Any leftover food should be stored in airtight containers.
4) Don’t give roaches a way in. Cockroaches can squirm through the smallest openings. Be sure to seal gaps around pipes with flexible caulk, as well as patch any cracks and crevices you find around the house. A Bug Guardian Scorpion Seal service also helps with this step.
5) Long-term cockroach prevention. The best strategy for complete roach control should be viewed as an on-going effort. Regular service visits from a pest control professional such as Bug Guardian’s trained professionals will help to keep unwanted infestations from occurring.