Know Your Enemy
Scorpions in your home, at your business, or infesting you property is an unwelcome sight to anyone. Understanding scorpion preferences can help you make your area less attractive to the pests. There are common DIY remedies that can aid in keeping scorpions at bay. These don’t work in all instances, but may be helpful when formal scorpion removal treatments are not available.
Considering the bark scorpion is the most common scorpion in Arizona and the Phoenix area, as well as the most venomous scorpion in North America, it is no surprise people attempt to find all possible solutions in preventing scorpions on your property.
DIY Scorpion Control
- Remove Food Sources – Getting rid of scorpion food sources can help make your area less attractive to scorpions. Scorpions feed on insects like crickets, spiders, centipedes, beetles, ants and roaches. Ensuring these critters are absent can help keep scorpions away.
- Eliminate Inviting Habitats – Scorpions seek refuge under large rocks or boulders, in woodpiles, and yard waste such as brush and debris; removing these from your yard can deprive scorpions of shelter. The same goes for inside your home; remove piles of clothing, boxes, or food crumbs that may attract insects can attract scorpions.
- Turn Off Outdoor Lights – Outdoor lighting that may attract insects like crickets can in turn bring in scorpions looking to feast. Not only will this save on some energy use, you will help prevent scorpion snacks from entering your property.
- Home Sealing – Ensuring your home, foundation, and other structures are free from cracks and other entry points can help prevent scorpions as well as other pests from entering your home or business. Sealing wall fence cracks and clearing away climbing vegetation will also help.
- Natural Remedies – Certain essential oils like lavender, cinnamon, peppermint and cedar are unattractive to scorpions, so applying these oils at entry points can deter them from entering your home.
- Go On The Hunt – For thrill seekers, seeking out scorpions at night with a black light and removing them from the property can be effective. It is dangerous and definitely puts you at risk of being stung, so it isn’t recommended for the faint of heart.
Best Scorpion Solution
While these home remedies can be helpful in keeping scorpions away, the most effective treatment plan is one designed and implemented by an experienced scorpion prevention specialist trained in diagnosing scorpion problems and deploying the appropriate strategy, such as a comprehensive scorpion home seal. For more information on effective scorpion control in your home or business, contact the scorpion experts at Bug Guardian today.